Monday, October 30, 2006

Caramel Apples


Caramel apples are very popular this time of the year. I bought a whole bag of apples for just $2.50, and decided to make some caramel apples with these. I made some with plain caramel but of course couldn't resis the urge to roll some in walnuts and dip some in chocolate. The recipe is from Allrecipes and is fairly simple to make. Just make sure you don't do what I did and stick your finger in the hot caramel!

Caramel Apples
adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

6 apples
6 wooden sticks (I used bamboo skewers)
1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Insert wooden sticks into apple. Place apples on a cookie sheet covered with lightly greased wax paper.
2. Combine caramels and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring often, until caramel melts and is smooth. Dip each apple into the caramel and gently run apples around insides of saucepan to scrape off some of the caramel. Scrape excess caramel from the apple bottoms using the side of the saucepan. Place on the wax paper and place in fridge.

*note*
Roll the apples immediately in a bowl of chopped nuts after dipping in caramel, if desired.
After the caramel layer is cool, melt some chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl and drizzle over the top, or dip the caramel apple into the chocolate mixture.

4 comments:

Anh said...

Wow... Caramel Apple... I wonder if it is similar to the Toffee Apple we have here in Australia. :) Definitely a treat anyway!

I have linked you to my blog. Hope you don't mind!

diddy said...

hi white polar! I definately feel honored to have you linked to my blog! I've never tried the toffee apple before! I would love to visit australia one day though!

Unknown said...

Wow! Nice apples, love both flavours!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I always seen these variety of apples selling in store but I have yet to try one. Guess I don't know how to eat the whole apple with a stick without making a mess! Should buy it home and cut it open isn't it? Hehe...